What Can Go Wrong?
Surrogates are not machines and no two pregnancies are the same. Your surrogate may need additional medications or treatment. Be sure to find out the following from your agency:
- How frequent are miscarriages?
- What are the most common complications and how often do they occur.
- When in the process they occur?
- What could be the cost implications?
- What is the rate of premature births?
- How many children need additional care after birth.
Find out what post-natal care would cost.
It is impossible to prepare for every scenario. Be sure to discuss at length all the potential problems and how often the agency or clinic experience these issues. This is also a good way to make comparisons between different agencies.